Senior Taste Scientist
EXTER COMPANY PROFILE
Exter is a leading global supplier of specialty (added-value) savoury taste ingredients to major global food manufactureres. Our ingredients are known for over 70 years for quality, cost effectiveness and innovation, providing customers with a broad array of customized solutions to enhance consumer differentiation. The company has experienced tremendous growth since their divesture and MBO (Management Buy Out) several years ago from a leading publically traded, best in class, value added ingredient supplier. The business is niche oriented and is well positioned for strategic growth, building on its existing customer base and demand for their products and services. Exter has a worldwide network of distributors and dedicated sales forces to support their long term growth objectives.
We are famous throughout the world for the traditional method we use to prepare savoury taste ingredients: slow reduction and then roasting in the oven. Slow cooking, where we take the time to let the ingredients do their job. Home cooking but on a professional scale, serving the food industry. Enjoying the genuine taste of traditional cuisines. That is what Exter represents: pure flavours from authentic cuisines, using ingredients that come straight from the land and the farm. Fuss free. Prepared with passion and love - just like grandma used to, but now on an industrial scale.
We are focused around our customers and have 6 regional sales offices. Those sales offices are closely linked to our Technical Application Centers in Zaandam and Bangkok and we are opening up a Technical Application Centre in Shanghai. The TAC groups are closely linked with the research organization/center in Zaandam – the Netherlands. Our production sites to serve our customers are in Zaandam- Netherlands and in Bangkok – Thailand.
Within Exter, a research group is formed to develop the new authentic savoury taste product for the future. This group is working on different disciplines such as Sensory, Taste Technology, Taste Science and Regulatory Affairs. The group is responsible for the complete development of the new products, starting from a product concept until production in one of the factories of Exter. The Senior Taste Scientist will be responsible for developing new tastes through hydrolyses of proteins and/or Maillard reaction. You will work closely with colleagues of the research department and through experience and personality you are capable to guide them to develop their skills and capabilities. As a senior member of the research team you support decision making within the organization with a strong team scientific background. The Senior Taste Scientist will report directly to the General Manager of Exter.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Extend the scientific knowledge and approach within Exter of Maillard processes
• Develop new Taste Ingredients based on Maillard or other kitchen technologies
• Developing new protein hydrolysates and new hydrolysis processes;
• Improving current processes and the scientific knowledge thereof;
• Initiate and perform trials (fermentative) hydrolysis of proteins on small scale and factory scale
• Keeping up-to-date with scientific and technical intelligence on various topics related to (acid) hydrolyses, fermentation and food microbiology;
• Build, share and keep updated the knowledge of hydrolyses processes (acid, enzymatic, fermentative) within Exter;
• Collaborate with different disciplines like sales, product management and production to initiate and scale up new products;
KEY TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• An academic degree in (food) chemistry, biochemistry, (micro) biology, food technology or comparable.
• Experience with fermentation of food ingredients in an industrial surrounding is pre.
• Knowledge on enzymatic hydrolysis of proteins for taste forming is a pre
• Strong project management skills.
• Excellent communication skills, building strong relationships and build teams
• Ability to form strong external networks.
The position offers, next to a competitive salary and secondary employee benefits, the chance to work in a challenging, dynamic and innovative international environment with responsibilities within a small company that is growing and developing quickly. Exter operates on the market for savoury ingredients worldwide. Besides a dynamic working environment with professionals and a growing business you will get the chance to expand your own abilities on a professional and a personal level.
When you would like to receive more information concerning the job opportunity feel free to give us as call during work hours, your contact person will be Erik Boogaard on +3175-6700041
Does the job apply to you? Please send us an email or a letter including a short motivation and a CV addressed to Sonja Sikkes, HR Manager.
Address: Gerrit Bolkade 10
1507 BR Zaandam